Friday, January 09, 2009
Eat – Pray – Love
One Woman's Search for Everything...
The great Sufi poet and philosopher Rumi once advised his students to write down the three things they most wanted in life. I have spent the last few months trying to finish a book about ‘Elisabeth’ who searched and found the three most important things in her life. Elisabeth is in her thirties searching for her identity, she is searching for meaning of life and trying to find peace in life and with its occurrences.
Me on my own soul searching trip to Cambodia, Angkor Wat!
Elisabeth takes me from busy and hectic life in New York to her eating trip in Italian village, then to her meditation and yoga experiences in India and finally she falls in love with a Brazilian man in Bali. As she feeds her physical body with amazingly delicious food she gets ready to feed her soul with prayer and God searching in India, she seeks God and explores new aspects of being human. As she has found God and the spiritual nature of humanity she knows how to love and to be loved.
10 extracts from my reading;
1. We must get our hearts broken sometimes. This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.
2. Learn your way around loneliness. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person’s body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
3. Because the world is so corrupted, misspoken, unstable, exaggerated and unfair, one should trust only what one can experience with one’s own senses.
4. In a world of disorder and disaster and fraud, sometimes only beauty can be trusted.
5. We’re miserable because we think that we are mere individuals, alone with our fears and flaws and resentments and mortality. We wrongly believe that our limited little egos constitute our whole entire nature. We have failed to recognize our deeper divine character.
6. You are what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.
7. “Then I said to God; sorry this is the closest I could get to you today”
8. The only place the mind will ever find peace is inside the silence of the heart. That is where you need to go!
9. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave.
10. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings.
What are the three things you want the most in life?